Sunday, March 7, 2010

Reading Reflection 6-Briana Overman: Change Agent

One of the very first things that I must do as a beginning teacher is to have my voice be heard and be able to articulate my thoughts. I need to not be afraid to take risks and promote interactive professionalism and collaboration among myself, other teachers, and fellow administrators. I need to also focus on my own professional development while concentrating on my students’ development in the classroom. I must be committed to the change I want to see. Therefore, I can not simply state a problem and fail to follow through with any action on it. There needs to be commitment on my part if I want to see action from others. I must not make excuses for myself in not giving attention and time to a cause that I am passionate for. I have to continue to REFLECT about action and learn how to act on my inner voice-what is my purpose? I need to have a central focus, for example I want to be voice for technology in the classroom. I want to make sure that each classroom is equipped with technology that promotes student engagement and exploration. Besides LDC projectors, ELMO’s-document cams, access to the Internet, it helps me as an educator bring the students outside of the classroom.

I believe that being educated in new effective reforms, new teaching techniques, and strategies that are working help to shape conversations between agents of change in this ever-changing society. I need to help create the professional learning environment I want to work in. If there are not teacher support groups I want to be a person involved in creating one at my school. With these groups they provide platforms on which teachers can begin to change public education. I want to see less emphasis on test scores and more emphasis on student creativity and critical thinking. I mean, who ever remembers tests? It is what students take with them after they leave the classroom, the life skills and ability to make decisions and contribute to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment